Friday, September 7, 2012

New Girl


There are a million reasons why one might want to come to Los Angeles. The Hollywood glamour, the iconic beaches, the laid back vibe, the celebrity sightings... the list goes on. My reason was a little less stereotypical. While the rest of the world often scowls at the USA for their apparent lack of environmental consciousness and ethical behaviour, I've kept my mind open and have been lucky enough to land at one of California's most ethical (and might I add stylish) companies.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Bex, and I'm currently interning here at Rebagz for the month of September. I'm a student in England, Oxford to be precise, and have a keen interest in fashion and a passion for international development and charity. In other words, I plan to save the world one stylishly clad step at a time. This is my first time living in the US and already I've noticed several contradictions to the widely broadcast image of the States being un-ethical and environmentally naive; and my key example is Rebagz.

I chose this company after finding it featured in an online magazine post whilst doing research for my ethical fashion blogAfter contacting Marty (the founder) and Alexis (the operations manager), my reasons for visiting LA were clear - to work for a company that is innovative and forward thinking, in so many ways.

So far, I've learnt that Rebagz is based on friendship, honesty and finding a practical and ethical solution to the 'throw away fashion' generation's wasteful attitude to style. As I'm sure you're aware if you already know the company; their handbags are created from recycled materials (helping to reduce waste) and are produced under fair working conditions (allowing a sustainable and safe income for those involved in their production). Furthermore, the bags last a VERY long time. As is the nature of plastics, they do not wear down easily (hence the problems with their disposal), which makes them a perfect material for handbags, as when woven, the recycled plastic strands create a highly durable, waterproof bag. Finally, if you need any other reason to be interested in these bags, for every bag purchased Rebagz contributes money to KIVA - which helps struggling female entrepreneurs to become financially independent and develop as individuals.

Working with Marty and Alexis is going to be a blast, I can tell. Plus, writing these articles and doing my research surrounded by pretty hangbags and purses in the LA sun.... what more could I want? I suppose the point of this first post is just to point out how trusting your instinct, challenging stereotypes and doing your research pays off. As soon as I found Rebagz on the internet I knew that I'd found something special, a star in the (metaphorical) fashion rough; and now that I'm here it's safe to say I was right. Although I will certainly be taking advantage of the celebrity atmosphere, the sun, sea, sand and.... Starbucks while I'm here, I stand firmly by my reasons for coming to LA; to learn how companies such as Rebagz can challenge the status quo to produce dazzling, one of a kind fashion (ethically and sustainably) in a city where stars like this company, surely are the most important thing?

Bex x

No comments:

Post a Comment